Friday, January 21, 2011

Catch Phrase!

Yes, I love that game.  No, that's not what this post is about.

This is about some phrases, words or sayings that I use.  A lot.  And maybe some I shouldn't.  C'mon, everybody's got a few, right?  What are yours?

Here's a sample list of phrases with examples of how they might be used:

-Clown show
  "The ACC's bowl record is a complete clown show."
-Painted with that brush:
  "Yes, I do data analysis, but I don't want to be painted with that brush"
-Homie (see also, "homey")
  "how you doin, homie?"
-Bottom-line me
  "Bottom-line me here Becky, what's going on?"
-Word
  (probably my most overused, this can be an acknowledgement of my understanding, a question seeking       confirmation--"FSU won today" "Word?"--or it can simply denote emphatic agreement with something.
-Creep
  it's a term of endearment, really.  As in, "Megan is such a creep."  That oozes love and respect as far as I'm concerned.
-Postin up
  "Nothing going on, I'm just postin up with my coffee doing some reading"

Also have a couple of one-liners I use at work ALL the time, and they never get old.  So if someone jumps in front of me at the coffee pot, or the elevator, or the door to the office and then apologizes, I'll say, "no worries--I'm not that anxious to get upstairs anyway" or "there's nothing but work waiting for me when I get back."  Instant friend-maker.  Communicating common ground.  Another round of smiles, puppies and rainbows for the house! 

And my favorite elevator line happens on Mondays.  Everyone's dragging.  So I say, "only four more days til the weekend!"  Gets at least a chuckle everytime.  Or a strange, angry look.  Without fail.

Confession time: I kind of think I'm hilarious.  But there's some tension because I also realize that most people don't.  I really feel for those poor souls who lack a sense of humor. 

Ohhh maybe the next post will be about phrases people use a lot that I can't stand.  Good thinking.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment